The Trainmaster will work on average of 60 hours per week plus be “on call” when scheduled. Oversees train operations and is responsible for the safe and efficient movement of all trains within an assigned area or terminal. Responsible for the progress and productivity of all assigned personnel, to include prioritizing work efforts and setting performance standards. Oversees assignment of resources and the management of assets and processes within the assigned area or terminal. Accountable for execution of the service plan to include production, quality, cost containment and reassignment of resources as necessary to achieve maximum efficiency. Ensures the safety of crews and meets operational and financial targets as outlined by the service plan and associated key performance indicators.
- Ensures compliance to defined operating practices and procedures promoting a safe work environment.
- Manages the operational testing program by observing, documenting, and evaluating safe work practices per operating rules and acting upon results.
- Meets the tactical goals of the service plan by managing assets, reporting results, defining problem areas and implementing solutions. Metrics include asset utilization, execution to plan, cost of quality and safety performance.
- Conducts regularly scheduled employee meetings and programs to emphasize safety and discuss mitigation of risks.
- Investigates incidents, determines root cause, and escalates findings and implements corrective actions as necessary to prevent recurrence.
- Manages resources and assets in a cost effective manner.
- May serve as a first responder to critical incidents.
- Makes recommendations regarding hiring and performance management of staff.
- Ensure execution to plan through defined performance expectations with internal service providers and addressing failures to service level commitments.
- Utilizes operating systems and planning tools to proactively identify problem areas and coordinate solutions to the service plan.
- Coordinate with commercial and/or customer solutions unit to satisfy customer expectations
- Performs other duties as requested or required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree or at least 5 years Train Operations Management experience.
- Must be Locomotive Engineer Qualified.
- Supervisory and performance management experience.
- Prior experience working with employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement preferred.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office products.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic problem solving and root cause analytics.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to supervise other managers and direct activities towards the achievement of established goals.
|Physical Requirements:||% of Work Time|
|Must have the ability to see near, far, all color, have depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.||100%|
|Must have the ability to speak and hear clearly to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, yard workers, and section leaders.||100%|
|Must have the ability to continuously stand or walk on level or uneven ground.||100%|
|Must have the ability to ascend and descend railcars and ladders.||75%|
|Must have the ability to bend/crouch/kneel at waist or knees between locomotive and cars.||50%|
|Must have the ability to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 125lbs.||75%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 100lbs.||75%|
|Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid or windy conditions caused by the weather (snow, rain, and sub-freezing temps).||100%|
- Non-exempt level Train Service associate supervisory responsibilities
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and elements, noise, and fumes from gas, oil, and grease.
We are an EEO Employer and E-Verify participating employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status.