As a member of the local property leadership team, this position directly manages the track inspection function for the railroad. Responsible for carrying out the track inspection plan for the railroad, establishing maintenance priorities, and coordinating the remedial action for any track deficiencies noted during the inspection. Responsible for assuring the safety of the railroad tracks, switches, crossings, bridges, roadbed, and other parts of the railroad for train operations.
- Support the safety program and the safety goals for all maintenance of way groups on the railroad.
- Develop work plans and track maintenance activities to support operating efficiencies and the railroad’s customer service commitments.
- In conjunction the Roadmaster schedules activities of associates engaged in the maintenance and repair of railroad track and assigns/prioritizes programs and projects for maintenance forces.
- Ensure engineering instructions pertaining to inspections, maintenance, and construction work is adhered to by field personnel.
- Proactively inspects the railroad and customer tracks, switches, crossings, bridges, roadbed and other parts of the railroad for any defects that would affect the safe operation of train traffic.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of FRA requirements with repairs to track and remedial action required to keep in compliance per class designation.
- Assist with training programs and identify the appropriate type and level of training needed for engineering work groups.
- Develop an understanding and knowledge of the business and service needs of internal /external customers within the region.
- Ensure cooperation, communications and interactions with all functions in the organization.
- Articulate a focused, clear vision for the strategic priorities of the business and aggressively drive those of highest importance throughout the organization.
- Perform other functions as requested or required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must have Valid CDL A driver’s license or be able to attain within 90 days
- Knowledge of and skills in using hand tools, including wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, measuring tapes, etc.
- Knowledge of and skills in using power tools and hydraulic equipment, including portable grinders, rail saws, spike pullers, track wrench machines, power drills.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to read and comprehend safety manuals, operating and maintenance instructions, test materials, drawings, schematics, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic shop math, calculate figures and amounts such as area, circumference, length, distance, and volume.
- Ability to write legibly to complete routine reports, and complete required testing.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid drivers’ license to operate company vehicles.
- Familiar with track Safety Standards and how to apply.
- Pass written examinations on the safe operations of trains and maintenance of way standards.
- Familiar with Roadway Worker Protection (RWP).
- Knowledge of the operation of small power tools and hand tools to make repairs to the track structure.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, and Power Point.
|Physical Requirements:||% of Work Time|
|Must have the ability to see near, far, all color, have depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.||100%|
|Must have the ability to speak and hear clearly to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, yard workers, and section leaders.||100%|
|Must have the ability to continuously stand or walk on level or uneven ground.||100%|
|Must have the ability to ascend and descend railcars and ladders. (Steps/ladders used to enter and exit equipment).||25%|
|Must have the ability to bend/crouch/kneel at waist or knees between locomotive and cars.||50%|
|Must have the ability to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 125lbs.||75%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 100lbs.||75%|
|Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather (snow, rain, heat, and sub-freezing temps).||100%|
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather (snow, rain, heat, and sub-freezing temps).
We are an EEO Employer and E-Verify participating employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status.