We are looking for a Sr. Payroll Specialist with current Canadian and multi-state payroll processing experience supporting all of our business entities. This candidate must be a team player, with excellent customer service skills and a “can do” attitude. Responsibilities include processing and auditing US and Canada biweekly and semi-monthly payrolls, reconciling payroll tax returns, creating data import files and writing reports, and providing assistance to employees’ questions regarding pay and withholdings.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Administer and perform the data entry necessary for the accurate and timely processing of hours and earnings of all employees resulting in biweekly and semi-monthly payroll checks with overtime as needed.
- Assist Payroll Manager in identifying payroll operations process improvements, including procedural documentation updates as needed.
- Audit payroll records and run adjustments as needed.
- Audit Quarterly Statements of Deposit, providing corrections when needed.
- Audit, research and resolve cases assigned for payroll calculation/deduction-related issues in a timely manner.
- Calculate manual checks, involuntary terminations, missed hours, and special requests as needed.
- Ensure that systems and processes correctly compute and record time, earnings, employee benefits, special deductions, mandated benefits, taxes, garnishments and other items that affect net pay and/or company liability.
- Generate management reports using ADP Custom Reports tool.
- Manage employee (new and existing) information in ADP for all US and Canada companies including W-4s, T4s, terminations, pay increases, direct deposits and deductions (i.e., 401(k), benefits, boots, union dues, garnishments, child support).
- Responsible for balancing payroll runs, producing federal, state and local tax payments, and answering employee questions and researching issues.
- Responsible for voiding checks, stop pays, and direct deposit reversals.
- Validate and administer YTD vacation and sick time balances; calculate carryovers.
- W-2 and W-2C preparation and amendments as needed.
- T-4 for Canada Employees
- Provide Benefits Administration Assistance by:
- Reconciling the 401(k), FSA and HSA payroll deductions; arranging to send funds to carriers each payday.
- Preparing wire transfer requests to pay monthly benefit premium invoices (medical, dental, life insurance, etc.).
- Adjusting invoices due to enrollment changes mid-month.
- Using the carrier’s own websites to obtain and provide invoice information on a monthly basis.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- 5+ years of in-house payroll processing and administration experience in a high volume, multi-state, and Canadian corporate environment.
- Must have ADP WFN, E-Time Enterprise and ADP PCPW Experience; may consider comparable enterprise payroll software (i.e., Ceridian, PayChex).
- Ability to coordinate and assign work in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Demonstrated ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information with professionalism and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and consistently meet strict deadlines, overtime as needed.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, high standard of accuracy, attention to detail, and excellent follow-up skills.
- Effective in problem solving, with the ability to resolve complex issues.
- Experience as a lead resource as needed.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office programs. Strong Excel Knowledge (i.e., Pivot Tables, Vlookups, Conditional Statements (if/then) formulas).
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with competing priorities and minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical and math skills, with the ability to identify trends and implement process improvements.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex details to all levels within the organization.
- Thorough knowledge of payroll lifecycles, best practices, and federal, state, and local regulations.
REFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- CCP certification preferred. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
|Physical Requirements||% of Work Time|
|Must have the ability to speak and hear clearly.||100%|
|Must have dexterity to write and manipulate computer keyboard and mouse.||100%|
|Must have the ability to remain in a seated position.||80%|
|Must have the ability to lift office products and supplies, up to 20 lbs.||20%|
|Must have the ability to stoop, kneel, bend and reach.||10%|
- Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential.
- No supervisory responsibilities.
We are an EEO Employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status.