The position has a significant role in contributing to and promoting the safe and efficient operation of the Engineering Department (Railroad) and of OmniTRAX. The successful candidate for this position will join the organization as a key engineering associate supporting the system activities of the Engineering Department including support of various engineering management activities. The Railroad Design Engineer will work under senior engineering management. They will provide all manner of engineering services in an accurate and thorough manner that’s consistent with best industry and ethical practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop project(s) scope, schedule, and cost estimate.
- Prepares design plans, specifications, and related documents for the development of engineering projects.
- Prepares quantity and cost estimations for project.
- Prepare operating and capital budgets, development of AFE’s, monitoring of AFE’s in progress.
- Development of bid documents and specifications.
- Assists in the development of permitting documents.
- Maintaining project schedules.
- Complete daily project management activities.
- Monitoring project adherence related to scope, schedule and budget.
- Assist with special projects related to growth.
- Documents all work progress in writing, drawings/sketches, calculations, or tabulations to provide for thorough accounting of process and quality assurance review by senior engineering management.
- Assists in the development of, maintenance of, and upholds internal standards for typical design details, CAD standards, design/construction manuals, or general standards of practice.
- Continually develops personal knowledge of engineering and construction best practices and standards by leveraging job experience.
- Effectively communicates project updates and challenges to all project stakeholders.
- Perform field inspections to ensure all work meets project drawings and specifications.
- May directly control the activities of contractors working on the site.
- May be responsible for the logistics and control of construction materials.
- May provide oversight for the site safety during on site work in accordance with all applicable directives and policies.
- Create and/or drive departmental and company processes.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by senior management.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- A high school diploma or general education development certificate (GED) is required.
- Must meet the above requirement and 5 to 10 years relevant experience or have a Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering (with focus in Civil, Transportation or Construction Management) and 2 to 5 years relevant work experience.
- Ideal candidate will be a Registered Professional Engineer
- Valid State Driver’s License
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The idea candidate will be competent in the use of the following computer programs: AutoCAD, Microsoft Office Suite, and Microsoft Project.
- Candidate must have high aptitude in Excel, mathematics and, organization.
- The ability to read and understand engineering drawings, schematics, construction plans and right-of-way maps.
- Able to read and understand FRA and company rules specifications and guidelines. Able to legibly document items of non-compliance.
- Demonstrate an attention to detail and coordinate various activities simultaneously.
- Ability to comply with instructions furnished in written, oral and schedule form.
- Ability to read and comprehend published rules, procedure and manuals, government regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, memos and other work-related information.
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors and business associates in a clear, concise, courteous and professional manner.
- Must have excellent communication skills (in English) verbally and in (legible) written and typed form.
|Physical Requirements:||% of Work Time|
|Must have the ability to remain in a seated position.||80%|
|Must have the ability to speak and hear clearly.||100%|
|Must have the ability to lift office products and supplies, up to 20 lbs.||20%|
|Must have the ability to stoop, kneel, bend and reach.||10%|
|Must have dexterity to write and manipulate computer keyboard and mouse.||100%|
This position is primarily centered in an office environment. In field activity is a routine part of this position’s duties, which at times will expose the individual to on track equipment, loud noise, moving mechanical parts, diesel fumes, grease and oil smells, weather elements, and other conditions common to an operating railroad environment. This position requires you wear safety equipment and walk up steep inclines and uneven surfaces. Field work and the related travel associated with this position is estimated between 25% and 50%.
We are an EEO Employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status.