The successful candidate will be responsible for the efficient inspection, troubleshooting, preventive maintenance and installation of locomotive mechanical systems / equipment and electrical systems / equipment such as diesel engine, motors, generators, wheels / truck repair, air brake, wiring/lighting systems and other mechanical / electrical components to ensure conformance with FRA, company, and customer specifications. This is accomplished by performing the following duties or ability to be trained to perform.
- Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, perform required inspections, troubleshooting and preventive maintenance to ensure that locomotive mechanical and electrical systems conform to specifications and operate properly within design limits and intent.
- Complete inspection and repair reports according to company and FRA specifications and guidelines.
- Following general safety rules, performs diagnostics, installation and repair of locomotive components to ensure proper operation and compliance with required federal and company specifications.
- Able to, or able to learn to read with accuracy diesel engine manuals, locomotive schematics, service bulletins, maintenance instructions and other craft related documentation for an EMD locomotive.
- Tests, installs and repairs system components including but not limited to: pumps, radiators, power assemblies, compressors, air brake repair / change, brushes replacement, commutator repair, panel lighting, circuit breakers, regulator repair / change to ensure all function and equipment conform to required specifications for an EMD unit.
- Regularly examines and verifies flow / pressure measurements, installation and alignment of rotating equipment, control points, relays and wiring and adjusts or replaces defective parts as needed.
- Operational qualification of mechanical and electrical control systems to verify conformance to specifications on EMD locomotives using a variety of test equipment and procedures i.e.: gages, dial indicators, manometers, meters, insulation break-down test devices, specialized tooling and live system measurements.
- Able to read and understand FRA and company rules, specifications and guidelines. Able to legibly document items of non-compliance.
- Analyzes and able to correct faults related to inspection, troubleshooting, preventive maintenance and installation of locomotive equipment.
- Assists in all other repairs and maintenance as required by immediate supervisor.
- You may be required to travel to locations away from your home shop in another state and/or country for several days to assist other OmniTRAX managed companies with repairs and maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High school education or general education development (GED).
- Preferred 6 months to 3 years job-related work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Aptitude in the mechanical field and/or electrical field and/or diesel engines and demonstrating a desire to learn required.
- A valid State Driver’s License is required. A CDL is a plus and may be required at some locations.
- Knowledge and skills in locomotive or general mechanical and/or electrical repair / maintenance helpful.
- Reading and interpreting manuals, blueprints, service publications, wiring diagrams, and flow diagrams helpful.
- Using various testing equipment such as micrometer, dial indicator, gages, insulation test devices, voltmeters, ohm-meters helpful.
- Recognizing the appropriate application and use of hand tools.
- Recognizing various power tools, including drills, grinders, and air impact wrenches and their intended use.
- Ability to use cutting torches and / or welding helpful.
- Demonstrate an attention to detail and coordinate various activities simultaneously.
- Ability to operate various industrial equipment including forklifts helpful.
- Comply with instructions furnished in written, oral and schedule form.
- Read and comprehend published rules, procedure and manuals, inspection checklists, government regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, memos and other work-related information.
- Effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors and associates in a clear, concise, courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to write legibly.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MECHANICAL:
|Physical Requirements:||% of Work Time|
|Must have the ability to see near, far, all color, have depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.||100%|
|Must be able to hear and talk well enough to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, yard workers, and section leaders.||100%|
|Must have the ability to continuously stand or walk on level or uneven ground.||100%|
|Must have the ability to ascend and descend railcars and ladders.||50%|
|Must have the ability to bend/crouch/kneel at waist or knees while loading/unloading.||50%|
|Must have the ability to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 125lbs.||75%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 100lbs.||75%|
|Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather (snow, rain, heat, and sub-freezing temps).||100%|
- No supervisory responsibility.
- While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee may be regularly exposed to noise, petroleum based products and odors, moving mechanical parts; weather elements and conditions; and high pressure compressed air. The employee may be frequently exposed to heat from equipment; small enclosed spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to live mechanical systems and/or high voltage electrical systems while performing tests.
- Work safely in many different work environments to include but not limited to a locomotive repair shop, outside in all weather conditions, and in confined spaces on and around locomotives.
We are an EEO Employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status.