A Carman is responsible for freight car air brake operations and repair, and as such will participate in inspecting, repairing and maintaining railcars consistent with industry standards, company requirements, and federal as well as AAR (Association of American Railroads) requirements. A Carman will be required to use hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting equipment and measuring instruments. A Carman will also be required to operate forklifts, cranes, tractors, torches, and welders.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- Make weld repairs on railcars.
- Inspect car components for compliance with FRA, as well as Association of American Railroads (AAR) standards.
- Identify or analyze defective components and indicate the necessary corrective action.
- Inspect the securement of lading in open top or flat cars for compliance with AAR rules.
- Inspect and salvage parts from dismantled and / or scrapped cars.
- Inspect and apply end-of–train device and perform air brake tests (if applicable to a particular railroad).
- Clean, lubricate and maintain tie-down devices as well as box car doors and other special equipment on railroad cars.
- Remove and replace couplers, draft gears and yokes.
- Inspect, replace and / or repair gaskets, air hoses, train lines, bulkheads and other interior load restraining equipment, steel sections such as side sheets, cross bearers, crossties and under framing.
- Repair painting on cars and car components: stencil letters and numbers on cars.
- Build and / or repair components such as freight car doors, wooden floors or interior walls.
- Fabricate jigs and fixtures and use them to assemble parts on a car.
- Straighten or fabricate, then replace steel parts such as: grab irons, handholds, ladders, brackets, sill steps and patching components in accordance with both AAR and FRA guidelines.
- Operate light and heavy cranes, forklifts, and other car moving shop equipment.
- Operate various vehicles both to and on the job site.
- Re-rail cars and locomotives by using re-railing equipment and perform other work associated with derailment service on the railroad.
- Obtain information from computer regarding car characteristics, destination, lading, and repair records and / or to file data such as repair information, fad orders and car releases.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High school education or general education development (GED).
- 1-3 years of welding or fabrication experience preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Perceived aptitude in the Car repair field and demonstrating a desire to learn.
- Valid State Driver’s License, CDL required.
- Carmen must be in possession of a 3G welding certificate to be qualified to make weld repairs on freight rail cars. The company will assist in getting the selected applicant certified.
- General mechanical aptitude, helpful.
- Knowledge of and skill in reading blueprints.
- Demonstrate an attention to detail and coordinate various activities simultaneously.
- Ability to comply with instructions furnished in written, oral and schedule form.
- Ability to read and comprehend published rules, procedure and manuals, inspection checklists, government regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, memos and other work-related information.
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors and business associates in a clear, concise, courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to write legibly.
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills).
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MECHANICAL:
|Physical Requirements:||% of Work Time|
|Must have the ability to see near, far, all color, have depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.||100%|
|Must be able to hear and talk well enough to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, yard workers, and section leaders.||100%|
|Must have the ability to continuously stand or walk on level or uneven ground.||100%|
|Must have the ability to ascend and descend railcars and ladders.||50%|
|Must have the ability to bend/crouch/kneel at waist or knees while loading/unloading.||50%|
|Must have the ability to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 150lbs.||50%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 125lbs.||75%|
|Must have the ability to exert up to 100lbs.||75%|
|Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather (snow, rain, heat, and sub-freezing temps).||100%|
- No supervisory responsibilities.
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather (snow, rain, heat, and sub-freezing temps).
We are an EEO Employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status.